Re: delayed process exit

From: Marc Ramirez <marc.ramirez_at_bluecirclesoft.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:00:12 -0400
On Friday 22 October 2004 07:29 am, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> Recent versions of CURRENT running on a uniprocessor Celeron _at_ 1800 have
> started (some time during this week) to behave a bit strangely.  I last
> updated my home workstation yesterday (Thursday 21 Oct) and the bug is
> still there.
>
> Some times, in a seemingly unpredictable manner, exiting processes take
> a lot of time to finish.  I'm seeing this almost every time I exit
> Emacs, because bash takes a long time to show me a shell prompt.
>
> I've tried ktrace on the processes that take a long time to exit, but
> the timestamp of the last call to exit() is not significantly larger
> than the rest of the trace output.  Whatever causes this happens after
> exit() has been called.
>
> Is anyone else seeing something similar?
> Any ideas why this might be happening?

I'm seeing something similar; for me it seems to be related to swapping
processes back in.  If _some_ processes get swapped out, it takes a long time
for them to wake up and swap back in.  The main culprits so far are bash and
moused.  I'm going to have some time to play around with it this weekend,
finally.  I've been experiencing this for almost a month, and I haven't had
time to do anything about it. :)

--
Marc Ramirez
Blue Circle Software Corporation