Re: Annoying SCSI waiting...

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:11:18 -0600
Julian Elischer wrote:

> Scott Long wrote:
>

>> For just about everyone, a value of 2 seconds or less is just fine.
>> For those with tape drives, changers, and (less likely) cdroms, a
>> long delay after reset is still quite necessary.  There are two knobs
>> to adjust this, and I'd like GENERIC to remain compatible.  It's 15
>> seconds, not 2 minutes.  You get a longer delay that that just trying
>> to set up the inital page tables on a large memory machine!
>

> for some reason the actual wait time always seems t be twice the
> nominated one for me..
> i.e. 15 seconds really seems ot take 30 seconds etc.

I'm willing to crank it down to 5 sec in HEAD.  However, before I go
changing a whole bunch of identical lines in nearly identical GENERIC
files, I'd like to see GENERIC get split into several sub-modules that
live in /sys/conf and can be included instead of constantly duplicated.
i.e.

/sys/conf:
/SCSI
/BLOCK
/NIC
/USB
/FIREWIRE

etc.

Again, only for HEAD, not for RELENG_5.  Thoughts?

Scott