Re: Annoying SCSI waiting...

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:45:13 -0400
At 5:11 PM -0600 10/22/04, Scott Long wrote:

>I'm willing to crank it down to 5 sec in HEAD.
>[...]  Again, only for HEAD, not for RELENG_5.

It is fine with me if we leave the delay as it is for 5.3-release.
I would hope we could lower it in time for 5.4-release, and not
have to wait until 6.0!

>However, before I go changing a whole bunch of identical lines in
>nearly identical GENERIC files, I'd like to see GENERIC get split
>into several sub-modules that live in /sys/conf and can be included
>instead of constantly duplicated.
>i.e.
>
>/sys/conf:
>/SCSI
>/BLOCK
>/NIC
>/USB
>/FIREWIRE
>
>etc.
>Thoughts?

"We" could at least start on this.  Break out SCSI, and see how
many bikesheds we will build before everyone is happy with that.
The "we" means that I have no immediate plans to tackle this...
I have no objection to the idea, but I am busy with other projects
right now.

If we can not sort out the files in time for 5.4-release, then I'll
certainly be willing to edit all the kernel files to change '15'
to '5' or '6'.  I'm willing to do that (in HEAD) right now...

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org