HEADSUP - GENERIC changed...

From: Ken Smith <kensmith_at_cse.Buffalo.EDU>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 16:12:11 -0400
I guess this is another "Better late than never" thing...

re_at_ decided to shift GENERIC back to a UP configuration and provide
an easy SMP config file to use, most likely for the duration of
the 5.X branch.  Scott is actively working on getting sysinstall to
become MP aware but we decided to go with the conservative approach
of using the UP kernel as default and as what the install procedure
uses initially.  It will hunt around and if appropriate offer to
set up MP by default at some point (hopefully 5.4) but this way
the majority of users with UP machines will have the defaults be
right.  And people with marginal MP machines will have a chance
to choose UP in the end if the MP kernel doesn't like their hardware.

The ultimate goal is for the MP kernel to be just fine for even
doing the install with so we're leaving GENERIC as-is in HEAD for
now.  The change was made in RELENG_5 and RELENG_5_3.

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith_at_cse.buffalo.edu