Re: 5.3b7 and ata raid1 - how?

From: Rob <robert_at_irrelevant.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 21:12:39 +0100
At 16:33 21/10/2004, Emanuel Strobl wrote:

>Am Mittwoch, 20. Oktober 2004 13:04 schrieb Rob:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm trying to set up a new machine, from 5.3b7 ISOs.  This machine has a
> > SiL 0680 based IDE RAID1 card in it, on which I have two 80Gb Maxtor drives
> >
> > Is ata RAID1 therefore broken on 5.3b7 ??  This is straight off the ISOs
>
>Yes, ataraid for many sil0680 (and 649) cards is broken.
>See my latest PR: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=72897
>
>I also reported it back in July:
>http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1876414+0+archive/2004/freebsd-current/20040704.freebsd-current
>http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=199650+0+archive/2004/freebsd-current/20040711.freebsd-current
>
>Since nobody seemed to care about I started another thread:
>http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=370257+0+archive/2004/freebsd-current/20040718.freebsd-current
>
>For 5-stable it's too late, but anyway, the ata performance doesn't allow me
>to use it for production environment. See the FreeBSD '5.3b7and poor ata
>performance' thread here (e. g.
>http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1554285+0+current/freebsd-current)

Many thanks for your reply, and the pointers to previous notes.

I checked it on the 5.3-RC1 miniinst too, with the same results.

Given the problems with performance, too, I've decided to go back to 4.10
for this machine for the time being, where at least the ata RAID sort-of
works.  I'll keep my eye out for a better quality ide raid controller,
though, given some of the comments on the SiI cards in those threads.

Best wishes,

Rob O'Donnell.

--
.sig plug: Miniature Glass Animals: www.russianglass.co.uk