Re: Annoying SCSI waiting...

From: Matthias Andree <ma_at_dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 20:14:51 +0200
Andre Oppermann <andre_at_freebsd.org> writes:

> Can't we just reduce the annoying:
>
>  Waiting 15 second for SCSI devices to settle
>
> to something shorter like 5 seconds in GENERIC?  I know perfectly well where it
> came from but these days not many of those slow disks are still around.
>
> It really annoys the hell out of me waiting the 15 seconds for nothing each time
> I boot the GENERIC kernel for testing.  Sure I can change that in the kernel
> config but then it's modified.  Any why take 15 seconds of everyone if only a
> very few actually need it (those with stone-age disk drives)?

I have several SCSI adaptors around (Tekram DC-390 - AMD53C974 based,
several Tekram DC-390U/F - SYM53C8XX based, some Adaptec 2940 variants)
and have yet to see one what would not have a BIOS setting to either set
the BIOS reset->scan delay, send a START UNIT command (waiting for its
completion) or similar.

Usually, I have more than one way to work around junk disks such as
Micropolis 4345WS (which needed a 10 s reset-to-scan delay with my
Tekrams to report back reliably on power-up, it's fine with factory
settings of the Adaptec 2940 UW Pro), and my oldish IBM DCAS-32160U or a
halfway modern Fujitsu MAH-3182MP drive have no trouble with short
inquiry delays at all.

I'd support a switch. My kernels all work fine with 2 s delay on all
drives I have - when there is trouble, it's after power-up - a kernel
delay won't usually help in that case.

--
Matthias Andree