Re: Breaking up kernel config files (GENERIC)

From: Ryan Sommers <ryans_at_gamersimpact.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 12:43:37 -0600 (MDT)
Andre Guibert de Bruet said:
> What I would really like to see is a mechanism for recognizing hardware
> (arch, cpu family, scsi, ide, sound, firewire and net) that is currently
> in the system and generating a barebones configuration file with just the
> results.

I've thought about something like this. I'm sure some of us use our own
"semi-automated" generation method of just doing something like dmesg |
awk '{print $1}' | sed 's/:.*$//' | sort -u. I generally do something like
this anytime I'm given a box and told to assimilate it to FreeBSD. I just
take the output of this and use it as a base for what modifications I have
to do to GENERIC. I'm sure someone could whip up a sed/awk script to do
something like this pretty easily. A more complicated approach would
involve actual hardware probing, generating dependency trees, compile time
optimizations, etc.

--
Ryan Sommers
ryans_at_gamersimpact.com