Re: Breaking up kernel config files (GENERIC)

From: Andre Guibert de Bruet <andy_at_siliconlandmark.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:23:03 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> At 2:24 AM -0400 10/25/04, Andre Guibert de Bruet wrote:
>
> So, I would expect "categories" to only handle simple cases like that,
> and we would leave the lines for things like 'da' and 'scbus' just the
> way they currently are.
>
> Right now I'm just tossing out some ideas of what we'd really like to
> see.  I think that if all we do is split up all the per-architecture
> GENERIC kernels into smaller files, then we will end up creating *more*
> work for most people who want to create a smaller kernel config. I
> suspect we can come up with something better than that.

What I would really like to see is a mechanism for recognizing hardware
(arch, cpu family, scsi, ide, sound, firewire and net) that is currently
in the system and generating a barebones configuration file with just the
results.

What happens when this "auto-probing" doesn't recognize the hardware that
you have? Well, what are you forced to do now? :-)

Regards,
Andy