Re: Breaking up kernel config files (GENERIC)

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 02:49:49 -0400
At 2:24 AM -0400 10/25/04, Andre Guibert de Bruet wrote:
>On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>
>>   1) Turn off *all* scsi, because they know they have no
>>      scsi card at all.
>
>This will break USB CF readers, pendrives and Firewire SBP2 storage
>devices, unless by "*all* scsi" you're just refering to "all scsi
>controllers".

I meant "all scsi controllers", not "all scsi support".  I think
it would be good-enough to provide a way to select some list of
scsi controllers, and thus turn off all other scsi controllers.
Same with ethernet cards.  I have never built a PC with more than
three ethernet "chipsets" in it.  I would rather have to specify
the three ethernet-devices that I know I have, and not have to also
know the device-names for all the ethernet-devices that I do not
have, just to comment them out.

So, I would expect "categories" to only handle simple cases like that,
and we would leave the lines for things like 'da' and 'scbus' just the
way they currently are.

Right now I'm just tossing out some ideas of what we'd really like to
see.  I think that if all we do is split up all the per-architecture
GENERIC kernels into smaller files, then we will end up creating *more*
work for most people who want to create a smaller kernel config. I
suspect we can come up with something better than that.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org