RE: Mild sound distortion with FreeBSD 5.3-BETA7

From: Yuriy Tsibizov <Yuriy.Tsibizov_at_gfk.ru>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 10:37:12 +0400
> > I've recently noticed a mild sound distortion in XMMS and other
> > applications that output sound. I'm not sure when I started noticing
> > this, but I don't believe it has always been present in the
> 5.x branch
> > (and if it has, I haven't noticed it up until a month or two ago).
>
> I've found a solution to my sound problem.
>
> I recently switched to this third party driver for SB
> Live!/Audigy cards:
>
> http://chibis.persons.gfk.ru/audigy/
>
> As far as I can tell, the sound distortion problem is _completely_
> gone. If any of you have this same problem and own an SB Live/Audigy,
> try the driver I mentioned above.
emu10kx has large default hardware buffer (4096*8), emu10k1 uses only 4096 (one emu10k page).

You can make small change to emu10k1.c (#define EMU_DEFAULT_BUFSZ EMUPAGESIZE*8)
or set hint.pcm.0.buffersize="32768" (assuming your card is pcm0)
in your kernel hints file and you should see better playback of long files.

This change will also bring you problem with very small files
(less than EMU_DEFAULT_BUFSZ) - you will not hear them
or only hear a small portion, like first (?) 4096 bytes.

Yuriy