Re: FreeBSD 5.3b7and poor ata performance

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 13:49:10 -0600
Charles Swiger wrote:
> On Oct 25, 2004, at 2:29 PM, Scott Long wrote:
>
>>> Also, there is an unresolvable question. Why two 52MB/s disks
>>> in raid0 has a throughput of 40MB/s and for raid1 18MB/s??
>>

>> Would you _PLEASE_ stop trying to associate RAID with performance!
>> RAID is about reliability and reduncdancy, not about speed.
>

> All RAID modes make tradeoffs between performance, reliability, and cost.
>
> RAID-1 mirroring and RAID-5 provide higher reliability by using partial
> or full redundancy.  However, RAID-0 striping provides no additional
> reliability: the primary reason for using RAID-0 is to improve
> performance by accessing two or more devices in parallel.
>
>> Some cases can give you desirable performance increases as a side effect,
>> but that is not the primary goal.
>

> Disagree.  Why else would you use RAID-0 striping?
>
> [ If you simply want to create a logical volume bigger than the size of
> a physical drive, you can use concatenation instead. ]
>
>> Specifically in this case, the
>> GEOM raid classes are fairly new and have not had the benefit of
>> years of testing.  I'd much rather that the focus be on stability
>> and reliability for them, not speed.  Once the primary goals of
>> RAID are satisfied then we can start looking at performance.
>

> Your position is certainly reasonable: if a storage system is not
> reliable, how fast it performs is something of a moot point.  :-)
> However, this being said, a RAID-0 implementation needs to improve
> performance compared with using a bare drive if it is to be useful.

Well, RAID-0 is a special case =-)  That said, putting discrete RAID
classes into the GEOM layer is something of a new adventure, so I'm
not surprised to hear about performance problems, even in RAID-0.
There might be extra data copies or path latencies that weren't planned
for or expected.  It's definitely something to look at.  But it's also
a very new subsystem, so it would be unfair to judge FreeBSD performance
with it.

Scott