Re: number of CPUs and IPI panic

From: Stephan Uphoff <ups_at_tree.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:18:25 -0400
On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 17:05, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 October 2004 09:05 pm, Stephan Uphoff wrote:
> > Can you try the attached patch?
> > ( Hope it still applies since it is a few weeks old)
> >
> > If this does not work I have a few more questions next week.
>
> Unfortunately it can enable interrupts with sched_lock held which can result
> in deadlocks due to ithread preemption (IIRC, maybe not as badly with the
> newer preemption code.)

The code only enables interrupts for TLB shootdowns.
In this case it is guaranteed that it holds the smp_ipi_mtx that as a
side effect protects it against preemption and holds no other spin
mutex.
I don't see the problem.

I am thinking about implementing the bitmap based stuff be talked about
a few weeks ago to avoid having more than one queued IPI of the same
type.