5.3RC1 Unable to Install due to ATA CD-ROM Errors

From: <mkucenski_at_cox.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 9:01:25 -0400
On booting the RC1 cd I get this message:

acd0: FAILURE - MODE_SENSE_BIG timed out

When attempting to run the install, I get several of these errors on the console:

acd0: FAILURE - TEST_UNIT_READY timed out

followed by this error from the installer:

error mounting /dev/acd0 on /dist: Input/output error (5)

Any suggestions on how I can get this fixed.  I am downloading 5.2.1 at the moment to see if it has the same problem.

Oh, I almost forgot, the drive is an NEC CD/DVD writer that has worked flawlessly under 4.10.

Thanks,
-Matt