Re: 5.3 & SMP How do I know my 2 CPUs are used?

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 23:14:55 +0100 (BST)
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Rob wrote:

> I have tried to create a kernel for my dual CPU motherboard:
>   Intel Pentium III (801.82-MHz 686-class CPU)

My person favorite way is to view the kern.smp sysctl hierarchy:

My notebook:

  paprika:~> sysctl kern.smp
  kern.smp.maxcpus: 1
  kern.smp.active: 0
  kern.smp.disabled: 0
  kern.smp.cpus: 1

An SMP box:

  hippy# sysctl kern.smp
  kern.smp.maxcpus: 16
  kern.smp.active: 1
  kern.smp.disabled: 0
  kern.smp.cpus: 4
  kern.smp.forward_signal_enabled: 1
  kern.smp.forward_roundrobin_enabled: 1

As pointed out, there are a number of other tell-tale signs, such as the
processor launch messages, additional CPUs listed in top, and so on.

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research