Re: EHCI considered harmful?

From: Gary Jennejohn <garyj_at_jennejohn.org>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 11:07:51 +0200
Sean McNeil writes:
> What I am wondering about is why I get ehci in my kernel when I do not
> ask for it:
>
> server# grep ehci LINT
> LINT:device             ehci
>
> So there is a config directive available...
>
> server# grep hci AMD64
> AMD64:device            uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
> AMD64:device            ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
>
> So I have not specified it...
>
> server# kldstat -v | grep ehci
>                 135 ehci/usb
>
> Yet it is in my kernel?

No, this output most probably comes from this:

root:peedub:sys:bash:4> grep ehci ./dev/usb/usb.c
DRIVER_MODULE(usb, ehci, usb_driver, usb_devclass, 0, 0);

which AFAIK means that ehci could be loaded as a module.

The real way to check is by grep'ing /var/run/dmesg.boot which will
contain scads of messages about EHCI if it's in the kernel.

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyj[at]jennejohn.org gj[at]freebsd.org garyj[at]denx.de