Re: Remote gdb broken in -CURRENT?

From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 10:27:41 +0100
On Saturday, 30 October 2004 at  8:06:29 -0500, Ryan Sommers wrote:
> Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>
>> Is anybody currently using remote gdb kernel debugging in -CURRENT?  I
>> tried yesterday (embarrassingly, during my kernel debug tutorial), and
>> it looks as if things are broken.
>>
>> Specifically, I was doing it in conjunction with firewire.  The kernel
>> was built with 'options GDB', and it showed that the corresponding gdb
>> functions were included, but the sysctl debug.kdb.available shows only
>> ddb.  I did a bit of looking around for what might have caused it, but
>> wasn't successful.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> This is probably caused by you not having any serial ports flagged
> for GDB.

You shouldn't need any.  As I said, this is with firewire.

> In /boot/device.hints look for the 'hint.sio.X.flags' where X is
> your serial port. It should be 0x90 for remote GDB debugging.

To select this serial port for both remote gdb and serial console,
yes.  I did check this and found it to be 0x10 (only serial console).
This has not stopped gdb from working on my older -CURRENT (6 months
or so) machine.

It's possible that you're right, but that would be a recent bug.
Unfortunately, we were trying this on the machine of a course
participant, and he's no longer available.  I'll check your suggestion
when I get back home in a week or so.

Is anybody currently using remote gdb (serial or firewire) on a
-CURRENT built in the last few weeks?  If so, did you need to do
anything special to get it to run?

Greg