Re: 5.3-RC1 attempt with a Toshiba Libretto 70CT failed, 4.10 OK

From: Ruben de Groot <mail25_at_bzerk.org>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:09:02 +0100
On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 03:58:35AM +0200, Julian H. Stacey typed:
> "M. Warner Losh" wrote:
> > In message: <200410270046.i9R0kV0K012290_at_laps.jhs.private>
> >             "Julian Stacey" <jhs_at_berklix.org> writes:
> > : It gets further than 5.2.1-RELEASE, as 5.2.1 hangs quickly after first flop
> > py
> > : after trying to fetch modules off floppy with "No floppy devices found".
> >
> > That's because there's no working support in current/5.x for the
> > YE-Data pcmcia cards.  It still works in 4.x, but not 5.x, alas.  I've
> > done some work to make it happy, but it still isn't happy with that
> > work.  The first problem is the fast interrupt, but even with that
> > fixed there's been enough changes in the floppy driver to make it no
> > longer work.
>
> Ah ! Thanks !
> BTW on 4.10 The ftp through ep0 ethernet chugs along at 1 K byte / sec !
> & expires half way through load of /bin
> & Ive used that pcmcia ether card with FBSD before, its OK,
> so it's the libretto.

I had the same kind of problems on my Libretto 70CT and a 3Com 3CCFE574BT.
After the installation (5.1 and 4.9) over SLIP, the NIC kept giving me
extremely low throughput. I did a little testing:

Pinging from the libretto to another system, both running tcpdump, would
give normal results on the other system (1 ICMP request arriving every
second, 1 reply being send back).
On the Libretto however, the replies would not show up in the tcpdump
trace for a long time, sometimes over 60 seconds, after which I would
see a "burst" of replies in a few seconds, but a lot of them never
showed up at all.
So it looks like the problem was in the receive side of the NIC/driver.

The hardware is fine btw; the Linux driver has no problems with this
configuration.