Re: smb mount panic

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 10:10:45 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Chris Laverdure wrote:

> I'm not actually sure if this is a samba problem, but anyway:
>
> I have all of my mp3s stored on another box and shared with samba. Most
> of the time on first boot I execute the following command:
>
> mount -t smbfs //incubus_at_sylvia/root /Network/Sylvia
>
> For some reason whenever I do that now I get some sort of kld related
> error (even though netsmb_dev loads), and then I have to do it again for
> it to actually mount the share.

Are you running it as non-root? You need to preload the modules as root if
you aren't.

> More importantly, and this seems to be dependant on how long I have my
> box up, if I do this with say.. 48 minutes of uptime, I am greated to a
> beautiful kernel panic.

If its related to quotas, try compiling samba without quota support.

> I'm sorry for not providing any debug messages or anything of that sort
> -- I'm about to hit the shower. But if anyone is interested I can
> provide any information they wish.

In general, its better to collect these and post them without asking --
otherwise you'll just be ignored. I just happen to know of a couple odd
samba-isms that people trip over.