Re: panic on shutdown

From: Maxim Maximov <mcsi_at_mcsi.pp.ru>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 22:55:54 +0400
Maxim Maximov wrote:
> John Baldwin wrote:

>>> My system can't boot with ACPI disabled.
>>>
>>> Also I want to mention that this panic is rare. I've seen it about 10
>>> times in 2-3 months of everyday rebooting.
>>>
>>> And by the way, the command issued to shut the system down was 'halt -p'
>>

>> I would hack the timeout code to add some printf's before the
>> mtx_unlock(&Giant) to dump the function pointer and argument if
>> !tmtx_owned(&Giant) and then use gdb to figure out what the callout
>> function was.  I.e. something like:
>>
>>     if (not mpsafe) {
>>         if (!mtx_owned(&Giant))
>>             printf("func = %p, arg = %p\n", c_func, c_arg)
>>         mtx_unlock(&Giant);
>>     }
>>

> Thanks, I recompiled kernel with this code. I'll let you know if this
> yields anything..

Just got one after 'halt -p'!

func = 0xc07b3298, arg = 0xc09656e0

mcsi_at_ultra(ttyp1) [99] ~# gdb
--symbols=/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ULTRA/kernel.debug --readnow
GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i386-marcel-freebsd"...
(gdb) x 0xc07b3298
0xc07b3298 <scrn_timer>:        Cannot access memory at address 0xc07b3298
(gdb) x 0xc09656e0
0xc09656e0 <main_softc>:        Cannot access memory at address 0xc09656e0
(gdb) quit

--
Maxim Maximov