Re: device pcm

From: Mathew Kanner <mat_at_cnd.mcgill.ca>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 15:05:32 -0400
On Sep 04, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 10:50:56AM -0400, Pierre-Luc Drouin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've read UPDATING about the changes related to the soiund devices, but
> > I'm unable to get sound to work. I've added the line "device sound" to
> > my kernel and have tried to use also the line "device pcm" or "device
> > snd_pcm", but both are unknown when I try to compile. My sound card is a
> > SB Live! What should I write in my kernel config line?
> >

> Could you try to follow instructions at:
>
> http://www.blackend.org/docdev/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-setup.html
>
> it's future update of Handbook section for sound setup.
>
> Any feedback is welcome :)

	Could you add that the easiest way to configure you sound in 5.X+
is to:

tube# kldload snd_driver
tube# cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <CMedia CMI8738> at io 0xb800 irq 11 kld snd_cmi (1p/1r/0v channels duplex default)
pcm1: <Creative EMU10K1> at io 0xb400 irq 5 kld snd_emu10k1 (4p/2r/0v channels duplex)

	for each kld snd_foo
		echo snd_foo_load="YES" >> /boot/loader.conf

	This method works because snd_driver is just dummy module that
loads all[1] the sound modules. (Oops, just noticed I missed uaudio).
	Also, KLDs are the preferred method for sound usage and that ISA
cards likely won't need a hint (PNP).

	--Mat
[1]  It only loads the sounds modules that it knew about at compile
time.  Some sound modules are provided "third party" such as in the
ports, such modules will be missed by this method and will have to be
specifically loaded.

--
	I don't even know what street Canada is on.
			- Al Capone