Re: xorg & KDE 3.3 startup issues in 5.3 BETA3

From: Adam Smith <adam_at_internode.com.au>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 12:47:27 +0930
On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 10:06:22AM +0930, Adam Smith said:

> When I launch kdm and log in, Xorg ignores my .xsession or .xinitrc files
> (whichever I have created) and loads only an xterm window (with no window
> management around it.)  I need to type 'startkde' in this window to
> actually kick KDE off and get it initiated, and upon closing this window
> Xorg terminates itself.

Hmm, in addition to this I used xdm instead of kdm, and startkde initiated
as it should have.  Looks like something still directly to do with kdm.

I don't care either way whether I run kdm or xdm -- it was only that kdm
has the handy session-type dropdown menu and remembers my username so that
it's convenient to log in later.

I tried erasing my kdmrc file and I'll give it another try later, but I am
still not sure if this is a fault with kdm itself or a co-responsibility of
kdm and Xorg working together.  I've never had this issue with kdm &
XFree86-4.  So perhaps it's something to keep an eye on.

If it fails again and noone has any more input I'll lodge a bug at KDE.

--
Adam Smith
Internode	: http://www.internode.on.net