Re: pcm0:play:0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead

From: Don Lewis <truckman_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 09:56:26 -0700 (PDT)
On  7 Sep, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 11:46:35 +0200
> Guido van Rooij <guido_at_gvr.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 01:56:42AM -0700, Don Lewis wrote:
>> >
>> > Looks like this problem is not limited to amd64 ...
>>
>> Indeed. In fact, I have seen numerous mentioning of it and no
>> solution.
>
> Are you experiencing the problem both with and without ACPI enabled?
>
> For me, disabling ACPI cures it on this amd64 box with nVidia nForce3
> 250 chipset.
>
> Cameron Grant recently sent me the URL for a patch he had come up with
> for the snd_ich driver:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~cg/ich-uncrackify.diff.gz

That looks more like a fix for a distortion/skipping problem.

> I tried it, but the problem still persisted as long as ACPI is enabled.
> Nonetheless, you may want to try it and see how it works for you.
>
> This is really one mysterious problem!

The interrupt timeout problem appears to be caused by ich_intr() no
longer seeing what it thinks are valid interrupts from the device. Guido
sent me some useful debug info and we are homing in on the problem.  The
ACPI vs. non-ACPI difference that you are seeing may indicated that the
problem is triggered by interrupt routing and/or what other devices
share the same IRQ as the sound hardware.