Re: RFC: 5.3 Migration Guide

From: Patrick Guelat <pg_at_imp.ch>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 19:53:29 +0000 (UTC)
On Mon, 6 Sep 2004, Bruce A. Mah wrote:

>> On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 20:06, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
>
>> Users should really rebuild ALL ports when upgrading from 4.X to
>> 5.3-RELEASE.  Only simple applications that only rely on libraries in
>> compat4x will work correctly.  Others, for example GTK+ apps, may link
>> to both libc_r.so.4 and libpthread.so.1.  That could spell disaster.

Don't panic ;-) Here at work we're running our DOCSIS cabletv provisioning
suite on 5.3 which is (up to now) entirely developed and built on 4.10,
including Mysql, sendmail, perl, c++ based own dhcp server, tftp server,
apache with php, etc.  without any problems. The only problem encountered
so far is a 'readline'-library issue which leads to occasional SEGV when
using the mysql client.

This stuff is all running with /usr/ports/misc/compat4x installed, and some
of them are indeed threaded apps (i.e. mysql).

Of course as soon somebody starts to upgrade individual package that
have dependencies, all dependencies should also be upgraded. Maybe
it's really time to tell the folks about 'portupgrade' ?

-Patrick

Patrick Guélat, ImproWare AG Network Services, CH-4133 Pratteln
Mail: Patrick.Guelat_at_imp.ch - Phone: +41 61 826 93 00 (ext: 13)