Re: RFC: 5.3 Migration Guide

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 13:28:15 -0600 (MDT)
In message: <200409060206.21145.michaelnottebrock_at_gmx.net>
            Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock_at_gmx.net> writes:
: On Monday 06 September 2004 01:27, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
: > Howdy--
: >
: > I've volunteered to rework the 5.X Early Adopters Guide into a Migration
: > Guide.  The focus of this document is less about discouraging unwary
: > users and more about what kinds of changes users might encounter when
: > they move from 4.X to 5.X.
: >
: > I'd like to solicit a pre-commit review on the document at:
: >
: > http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/pub/article.html
:
: Nice document!
:
: One thing I'm missing:
:
: The pthread libraries change probably requires people to recompile things
: linked to it if they're migrating from 4.x - users updating from 5.x-Releases
: can get away with setting up libmap.conf (maybe this is true for updating
: from 4.x as well, can some threads expert comment on it?).

You should recompile everything as part of this upgrade.  You can
still use libc_r on -current (I have binaries I'm still using and
haven't upgraded).  You should likely do so, as well as recompile C++
programs.

Warner