Re: BETA3 showstoppers (read: critical bugs)

From: Matthias Andree <ma_at_dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 02:42:16 +0200
"Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery_at_ece.cmu.edu> writes:

> We have occasionally seen what I am told by our network folks are odd
> autonegotiation issues with 3C905-TX cards connected to Cisco switches,
> for what it's worth.

There is no autonegotiation issue in this case. Linux is fine, and
rp-pppoe has also been fine throughout 5.2-CURRENT on the same
interface, as has been Linux with both rp-pppoe and kernel-mode pppoe.

On FreeBSD, "ifconfig xl1 media auto ; ifconfig xl1" prints the right
setting, that is 10baseT/UTP and no note about duplex.

This is what Linux 2.6 + mii-diag prints:

Basic registers of MII PHY #24:  3100 786d 2000 5c01 01e1 0021 0000 0000.
 Basic mode control register 0x3100: Auto-negotiation enabled.
 You have link beat, and everything is working OK.
 Your link partner is generating 10baseT link beat  (no autonegotiation).
   End of basic transceiver information.

> I'm not convinced it's solely a hardware issue,
> though, as it seems to be a lot more common with "recent" 2.4-series
> SuSE Linux kernels than with older ones.  So far I've not had a chance
> to try it with FreeBSD (and I'm unlikely to do so any time soon; around
> here a stable AFS client is an absolute necessity...).

I haven't had major difficulties with SuSE Linux 8.2 (kernel
2.4.20-whatever). SuSE Linux 9.1 is an inconsistent and incomplete mess
though and something to stay away from unless particular requirements
dictate otherwise. If someone has 8.2 or 9.0, he'd better stay with that
and wait for 9.2.

--
Matthias Andree

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95 (PGP/MIME preferred)