Re: BETA3 showstoppers (read: critical bugs)

From: Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH <allbery_at_ece.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 11:36:57 -0400
On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 11:19, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 05:14:47PM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
> M> Hum, is the duplex setting manual? I've only used the 3C900 Combo for
> M> 10base2/BNC (Coax) so far. My DSL modem is hooked up to a "classic"
> M> (=old) 3C905 via crossover CAT5.
>
> The card I've acquired 15 minutes ago :) is 3C905-TX. It is connected
> with help of crossover CAT5 to my notebook. I run PPPoE server on
> notebook and can connect from desktop to this using ng_pppoe on
> CURRENT.

We have occasionally seen what I am told by our network folks are odd
autonegotiation issues with 3C905-TX cards connected to Cisco switches,
for what it's worth.  I'm not convinced it's solely a hardware issue,
though, as it seems to be a lot more common with "recent" 2.4-series
SuSE Linux kernels than with older ones.  So far I've not had a chance
to try it with FreeBSD (and I'm unlikely to do so any time soon; around
here a stable AFS client is an absolute necessity...).

--
brandon s. allbery    [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]     allbery_at_kf8nh.com
system administrator      [WAY too many hats]        allbery_at_ece.cmu.edu