Re: BETA3 showstoppers (read: critical bugs)

From: Gavin Atkinson <gavin.atkinson_at_ury.york.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 17:15:15 +0100
On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 16:36, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 11:19, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 05:14:47PM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
> > M> Hum, is the duplex setting manual? I've only used the 3C900 Combo for
> > M> 10base2/BNC (Coax) so far. My DSL modem is hooked up to a "classic"
> > M> (=old) 3C905 via crossover CAT5.
> >
> > The card I've acquired 15 minutes ago :) is 3C905-TX. It is connected
> > with help of crossover CAT5 to my notebook. I run PPPoE server on
> > notebook and can connect from desktop to this using ng_pppoe on
> > CURRENT.
>
> We have occasionally seen what I am told by our network folks are odd
> autonegotiation issues with 3C905-TX cards connected to Cisco switches,
> for what it's worth.  I'm not convinced it's solely a hardware issue,
> though, as it seems to be a lot more common with "recent" 2.4-series
> SuSE Linux kernels than with older ones.  So far I've not had a chance
> to try it with FreeBSD (and I'm unlikely to do so any time soon; around
> here a stable AFS client is an absolute necessity...).

There are known problems with the later 3com 3C905C cards which often
fail to autonegotiate correctly. As far as I know, the earlier cards
don't suffer from this, but I guess it's possible. It may be worth
comparing manufacture location of the cards - apparently there are a few
differences between cards originating from Ireland and those originating
from Singapore. See for example (although it refers to Linux)
http://www.scyld.com/pipermail/vortex/2002-July/001880.html

Gavin