Re: BETA3 showstoppers (read: critical bugs)

From: Matthias Andree <ma_at_dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 17:33:27 +0200
Gleb Smirnoff <glebius_at_freebsd.org> writes:

>  I have acquired a card like yours:
>
> xl0: <3Com 3c905-TX Fast Etherlink XL> port 0xa000-0xa03f irq 5 at device 11.0 on pci0
> xl0: Ethernet address: 00:60:97:7b:1c:20
>
> xl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         options=8<VLAN_MTU>
>         ether 00:60:97:7b:1c:20
>         media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
>         status: active
>
> PPPoE works just fine. The only difference from yours is that I run it
> between two PCs over crossover patchcord.

Good. When I wrote that amendment to PR #69133, I'd verified that the
problem is not with the modem: I'd also used a 2nd PC with crossover
cable, in my case the 2nd PC ran FreeBSD 4-STABLE or -RELEASE (don't
recall) with an Intel network interface card of the fxp(4) kind.

FreeBSD 5-CURRENT, the xl(4) machine, started to lose packets as soon as
I'd typed "ifconfig fxp0 media 10baseT/UTP" on the FreeBSD 4 machine,
and things came back to normal if I either reverted the FreeBSD 4
machine to autonegotiate or hardwired the FreeBSD 5 mmachine to the same
speed and duplex setting.

If you want a pppoe server to run a PPPoE test, net/rp-pppoe has a
pppoed that works. I can't give offhand details on how to run the PPPoE
server, I've forgotten, and I'll be off my computer until around 23:00
UTC now.

If you need further information, want me to test a patch or dig up
information with KDB/DDB, let me know what I can do for you.

Your support is much appreciated.

--
Matthias Andree

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95 (PGP/MIME preferred)