Re: 5.3 BETA kernel hangs without debugging options

From: Ulrich Spoerlein <spoerlein_at_informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 11:53:04 +0200
On Wed, 15.09.2004 at 02:17:07 -0500, Scot Hetzel wrote:
> I have been trying to track down a problem with the 5.3 BETA4 kernel
> where it would hang after trying to sense my CD ROM drive.  I have
> found that disconnecting the CD ROM drive would allow it to boot the

sos_at_ committed some fixes for these hangs, but unfortunately it still
happens on my laptop too. The situation is greatly improved, but in 1
out of ... say 12 reboots the Kernel still hangs at the DVD-detection.

Someone worked around this by placing a DELAY() somewhere in the code
(can't remember right now, search the archives). It also seems that it
doesn't happen with bootverbose. Turning on debugging seems to avoid it
for you, because the kernel is slower and thus not fast enough to win
the race against the CD-drive (Note: I'm only guessing!).

Let's see what Søren has to say about it, perhaps an additional DELAY()
is needed for borken drives :(

Ulrich Spoerlein
--
PGP Key ID: F0DB9F44				Get it while it's hot!
PGP Fingerprint: F1CE D062 0CA9 ADE3 349B  2FE8 980A C6B5 F0DB 9F44