Re: 5.3 BETA kernel hangs without debugging options

From: Scot Hetzel <swhetzel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 09:18:59 -0500
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 11:53:04 +0200, Ulrich Spoerlein
<spoerlein_at_informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 15.09.2004 at 02:17:07 -0500, Scot Hetzel wrote:
> > I have been trying to track down a problem with the 5.3 BETA4 kernel
> > where it would hang after trying to sense my CD ROM drive.  I have
> > found that disconnecting the CD ROM drive would allow it to boot the
>
> sos_at_ committed some fixes for these hangs, but unfortunately it still
> happens on my laptop too. The situation is greatly improved, but in 1
> out of ... say 12 reboots the Kernel still hangs at the DVD-detection.
>
> Someone worked around this by placing a DELAY() somewhere in the code
> (can't remember right now, search the archives). It also seems that it
> doesn't happen with bootverbose. Turning on debugging seems to avoid it
> for you, because the kernel is slower and thus not fast enough to win
> the race against the CD-drive (Note: I'm only guessing!).

I just built a BETA4 kernel from the a checked out sources of last
night and re-enabled the debugging options.  This morning the kernel
didn't have any problems booting my system.  I'm currently building a
kernel without debugging options to see if the problem re-occurs.

I'll know if it works in about 8hrs, when I get home from work.

Scot