Re: de0 doze off

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 18:36:44 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, Raphael H. Becker wrote:

> > Looks good.  This may result in reduced stability, but it may also tell us
> > specifically if there's a problem with the IFF_NEEDSGIANT mechanism.
>
> two parallel wget saturate the link to an average of ~12MByte/sec
> (netstat 1) for some hours. seems to work perfect now, constant full
> speed.
>
> I transferred around 180 copies of the miniinst.iso and ran a md5 on
> lots of the file to detect xfer-errors, nothing failed, no more errors.

So it sounds like there may be a race in the IFF_NEEDSGIANT implementation
-- perhaps a lost task event when queueing occurs while the task is
running.  I'll need to come up with a patch that allows us to make sure
this is the case, and get back to you tonight or tomorrow.

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research