Re: ipfw man pages vs. 5.3-Stable; needs modification!

From: Rob <spamrefuse_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:28:46 +0900
Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 11:56:21AM +0900, Rob wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>The manpages of ipfw needs modification with respect to
>>the IPFW vs.IPFW2 discussion.
>>All this is quite misleading when 5.3 becomes stable.
>>

> Do you mean you want the IPFW vs. IPFW2 information to be
> removed from the manpage?  If yes, I don't support this.
> There will be a lot of people switching from 4.x to 5.x,
> and it can be helpful for them.  We can remove this in
> future releases though.

At present the 5.3-"cvsup" has ipfw man page that says following:

   USING IPFW2 IN FreeBSD-STABLE
      ipfw2 is standard in FreeBSD CURRENT, whereas FreeBSD STABLE still uses
      ipfw1 unless the kernel is compiled with options IPFW2, and /sbin/ipfw
      and /usr/lib/libalias are recompiled with -DIPFW2 and reinstalled (the
      same effect can be achieved by adding IPFW2=TRUE to /etc/make.conf before
      a buildworld).

This can be confusing when 5.3 becomes "STABLE". At the moment 5.3 becomes
'STABLE', roughly something like this needs to be done:

   s/STABLE/RELENG_4/
   s/CURRENT/STABLE/

and probably some cosmetic modifications due to this switch of words.

Rob.