Re: Possible bug in sbin/bsdlabel.c in -CURRENT

From: Chris Hedley <cbh_at_chrishedley.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 23:49:35 +0100 (BST)
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Brooks Davis wrote:
> IIRC you can't extend the number of partitions unless you don't need
> boot blocks so this isn't all that useful except in situtations where
> gpt(8) is a much better solution.  Fixing this hardcoding seems like a
> reasionable idea, but I'm not an expert on this subject.  We're trying
> to avoid stopgap hack to bsdlabel in general because it's an obviously
> dead-end solution and we want to move on to something like GPT as soon
> as feasiable.

I see what you mean; I neglected to reboot before saying "it doesn't cause
any problems" and it does indeed cause the minor problem of killing boot2
(just how many mistakes can I fit into one email?  Perhaps I shouldn't
post so late at night :)

Er, anyway, since I'm now reduced to booting off an installation floppy
I'll revise my claim to echo your comment that it's great as long as you
don't ever need to boot.  I suppose I should change it back to an 8
partition label and wait for gpt to mature unless there's a fix that
doesn't cause big partition tables to interfere with the boot process
(maybe I should have a look at how NetBSD does it...)

Chris.