Re: nforce2 vs. apic

From: Jeremy Messenger <mezz7_at_cox.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:56:28 -0500
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:55:04 +0300, Andriy Gapon <avg_at_icyb.net.ua> wrote:

> I posted this some time ago to freebsd-questions_at_, but replies I got,
> although very helping, amounted to "don't do it", so I am trying this
> list.
>
> I have nforce2-based motherboard Abit NF7 and run 5.2.1-RELEASE on that
> system. I have tried to enable APIC by compiling kernel with 'device
> apic' (both with and without SMP option, although this is a UP system),
> but system just freezes during boot with it. Everything works pretty
> well without APIC, I was just curious about getting it to work.

It works fine with 5.3 in here with nForce2, but only two things that
aren't work...smbus and ethernet (tried NDIS and nvnet, but still not
work). My motherboard is MSI K7N2 Delta2 Platinum (MS-6570E-010). I never
have tried 5.2.1 with this new motherboard, because it's too old to touch
it.

Cheers,
Mezz

> I found this discussion:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-May/027316.html
>
> and I have also found numerous reports on nforce2+APIC lockup problem in
> Linux and some patches that were reported to help with it.
>
> So, I want to find out if anything changed with respect to this in
> FreeBSD, maybe some patches/workarounds, or success stories about
> FreeBSD+nforce2+APIC.
>
> Also some notes about my lockup. It happens at this point (exerpt for
> non-verbose non-APIC dmesg):
>
> psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
> psm0: model IntelliMouse, device ID 3
> pmtimer0 on isa0
> sc0: <System console> on isa0
> sc0: VGA <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x200>
> vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port 0x3c0-0x3df iomem 0xa0000-0xbffff on isa0
> Timecounter "TSC" frequency 1830012912 Hz quality 800
> Timecounters tick every 10.000 msec
> ipfw2 initialized, divert disabled, rule-based forwarding enabled,
> default to accept, logging limited to 100 packets/entry by default
> <<< In APIC case system freezes here >>>
> GEOM: create disk ad0 dp=0xc6e15e60
> ad0: 76319MB <WDC WD800JB-00ETA0> [155061/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA100
> acd0: CDRW <TEAC CD-W552E> at ata1-master UDMA33
>
> Also, when system freezes keyboard LEDs still work properly and cursor
> disappears when I press Scroll Lock, but arrow and PgUp/PgDown do not
> work; if I try Alt-F<N> system speacker emits monotonic sound that can
> not be turned off (except by reset, of course).
>
> I am ready to provide any additional information. Unfortunately I am not
> able to use serial console, so I can't give much info for APIC-enabled
> case.

FreeBSD GNOME Team