nforce2 vs. apic

From: Andriy Gapon <avg_at_icyb.net.ua>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:55:04 +0300
I posted this some time ago to freebsd-questions_at_, but replies I got,
although very helping, amounted to "don't do it", so I am trying this list.

I have nforce2-based motherboard Abit NF7 and run 5.2.1-RELEASE on that
system. I have tried to enable APIC by compiling kernel with 'device
apic' (both with and without SMP option, although this is a UP system),
but system just freezes during boot with it. Everything works pretty
well without APIC, I was just curious about getting it to work.

I found this discussion:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-May/027316.html

and I have also found numerous reports on nforce2+APIC lockup problem in
Linux and some patches that were reported to help with it.

So, I want to find out if anything changed with respect to this in
FreeBSD, maybe some patches/workarounds, or success stories about
FreeBSD+nforce2+APIC.

Also some notes about my lockup. It happens at this point (exerpt for
non-verbose non-APIC dmesg):

psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
psm0: model IntelliMouse, device ID 3
pmtimer0 on isa0
sc0: <System console> on isa0
sc0: VGA <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x200>
vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port 0x3c0-0x3df iomem 0xa0000-0xbffff on isa0
Timecounter "TSC" frequency 1830012912 Hz quality 800
Timecounters tick every 10.000 msec
ipfw2 initialized, divert disabled, rule-based forwarding enabled,
default to accept, logging limited to 100 packets/entry by default
<<< In APIC case system freezes here >>>
GEOM: create disk ad0 dp=0xc6e15e60
ad0: 76319MB <WDC WD800JB-00ETA0> [155061/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA100
acd0: CDRW <TEAC CD-W552E> at ata1-master UDMA33

Also, when system freezes keyboard LEDs still work properly and cursor
disappears when I press Scroll Lock, but arrow and PgUp/PgDown do not
work; if I try Alt-F<N> system speacker emits monotonic sound that can
not be turned off (except by reset, of course).

I am ready to provide any additional information. Unfortunately I am not
able to use serial console, so I can't give much info for APIC-enabled case.

--
Andriy Gapon