Re: 5.3-RELEASE TODO

From: David Syphers <dsyphers_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 02:08:53 -0700
On Friday 24 September 2004 01:43 am, Oliver Brandmueller wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 01:41:22AM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
> >  This is a list of open issues that need to be resolved for FreeBSD 5.3.
> > If you have any updates for this list, please e-mail re_at_FreeBSD.org.
> >
> > Show stopper defects for 5.3-RELEASE
>
> There seems to be an issue with SMP and ACPI which came into the tree
> somewhere after BETA3, see the corresponding threads in current_at_
>
> SMP problems with -CURRENT? (and BETA5)

This thread mentions APIC several times (one person saying the problems went
away when a kernel "without device apic" was made, and someone else saying,
"clearly there was a bug introduced in the ACPI or APIC code").

If, in fact, it's APIC-related (instead of, or in addition to, ACPI), then
please also look at the thread "5.3-BETA5-i386-disc1 bootstrap failures".

I can't boot the BETA5 installation disc if APIC is enabled, but can if it's
disabled. Mine is not an SMP system, but SMP people are probably the ones
who'd notice this on a source upgrade (since many UP people wouldn't have
APIC in their kernel).

If this is unrelated, then my apologies. But in that case, it's an unrelated,
but still show-stopping, bug.

-David

--
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please