Re: 5.3-RELEASE TODO

From: Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk_at_voicenet.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 09:14:03 -0400
David Syphers wrote:

>On Friday 24 September 2004 01:43 am, Oliver Brandmueller wrote:
>

>>On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 01:41:22AM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
>>

>>> This is a list of open issues that need to be resolved for FreeBSD 5.3.
>>>If you have any updates for this list, please e-mail re_at_FreeBSD.org.
>>>
>>>Show stopper defects for 5.3-RELEASE
>>>

>>There seems to be an issue with SMP and ACPI which came into the tree
>>somewhere after BETA3, see the corresponding threads in current_at_
>>
>>SMP problems with -CURRENT? (and BETA5)
>>

>This thread mentions APIC several times (one person saying the problems went
>away when a kernel "without device apic" was made, and someone else saying,
>"clearly there was a bug introduced in the ACPI or APIC code").

That would be me.  Here's a summary of what I encountered (all this can
be found in the "SMP problems with -CURRENT (and BETA5)":

With HTT enabled in the BIOS:

1) With ACPI and APIC enabled: Locking up after detecting my hard drives
and launching the second processor.

2) With ACPI disabled and APIC enabled:  Crashing with a "Fatal trap 9".

3) With both ACPI and APIC disabled: Success.

With HTT disabled in the BIOS:

1) With ACPI and APIC enabled:  Locking up after detecting my hard drives.

And, I'd agree with your assesment that, no matter the cause, this is a
pretty significant show-stopping bug :-)

Adam