Re: "NTLDR missing" after 5-RELEASE install

From: Andrew Boothman <A.J.Boothman_at_sms.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 15:53:46 -0000
Quoting Lucas Holt <luke_at_foolishgames.com>:

> It probably is.  You need to put in the win 2k CD and do a repair on
> your windows install.. unfortunetely this may screw up your freebsd
> install.
>
> On Tuesday, February 25, 2003, at 05:58  AM, Andrew Boothman wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I've just installed 5-RELEASE, and I asked for the FreeBSD Boot
> > Manager to be installed on both my HDDs.
> >
> > When the machine boots I'm given options for :
> >
> > F1 - DOS
> > F5 - Drive 2
> >
> > Hitting F5 takes me to a second menu, where I can boot FreeBSD no
> > problem. My problem is that Win2k will no longer boot.... Hitting F1
> > displays a message that, "NTLDR is missing". I've tried all the repair
>
> > options on the Win2k setup disc to no avail I think.
> >
> > I'm sorry this isn't directly FreeBSD related, but I really hope my
> > Win2k installation isn't hosed.

Thanks for replying!

I can't understand how the 5.x boot manager has managed to break my windows
boot, i've never had any trouble under 3.x or 4.x, both of which played with
windows perfectly nicely.

I think i've tried all of the various repair options on the Win2k CD, including
getting it to do a fresh installation into a different folder (c:\tempwin), but
even that failed with the "NTLDR missing" message! However you no longer get
the booteasy (F1.... F2) menu anymore, so Windows must have rewritten
something. It still doesn't explain why Win2k still won't boot.

I'm running out of ideas and I *really* don't want to have to reformat my
windows drive!

Other than this (fairly major) problem, my 5.0 installation went really well,
even ACPI seems to be working perfectly and I even found a KLD to support my on-
board sound card! :)

I really want to get windows booting again so I can continue to play with 5.0
without worrying...

Any help is much appricated!

Thanks!

Andrew

To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo_at_FreeBSD.org