Re: 5.3-BETA5-i386-disc1 bootstrap failures

From: Nate Lawson <nate_at_root.org>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 11:08:55 -0700
David Syphers wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 September 2004 12:06 pm, David Syphers wrote:
>>On Tuesday 21 September 2004 11:39 am, Nate Lawson wrote:
>>
>>>The "safe mode" from the daemon loader disables both acpi and apic so
>>>that's one easy way to do this.
>>
>>This is the same problem I reported yesterday (with the more generic
>>subject of "can't install 5.3-BETA5"). Booting in "safe mode" worked fine,
>>and got me to the installation screen.
>
> The list has been quiet about this, so I assume it's a rare problem.

Actually, at least I need more info to even know where to begin.  How
about dmesg for starters?

> But I've
> got a couple questions about it. First, does anyone have any idea what's
> actually wrong? My computer is running -CURRENT from August 3 fine. (I don't
> have APIC in that kernel.) Anything having to do with ACPI is default. My
> computer is some generic HP, not quite three years old. More info available
> if it would help.
>
> If the problem is known, will it be fixed in BETA6? RC1?

Try just disabling apic:
hint.apic.0.disable="1"

> I can get to the installation screen by booting in "safe mode." Is it okay to
> install from there? In the kernel config file, it seems APIC is associated
> with SMP. I'm running UP, so why would this have any affect on my system?

Newer machines have APIC support which gives faster interrupts.  But
it's quite safe to run a UP or MP machine with apic disabled.  You just
lose performance (or the extra processors).

--
Nate