Re: ATA disk performance (ICH2 controller), some tests and comparison with Linux 2.6.5

From: Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 23:58:09 +0200
On Saturday 25 September 2004 22:59, Mauro Triulzi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I post some tests about the performance of my ATA disk (which is not
> very spectacular under FREEBSD 6.0).

Standard disclaimer (copied from UPDATING):

NOTE TO PEOPLE WHO THINK THAT FreeBSD 6.x IS SLOW:
        FreeBSD 6.x has many debugging features turned on, in
        both the kernel and userland.  These features attempt to detect
        incorrect use of system primitives, and encourage loud failure
        through extra sanity checking and fail stop semantics.  They
        also substantially impact system performance.  If you want to
        do performance measurement, benchmarking, and optimization,
        you'll want to turn them off.  This includes various WITNESS-
        related kernel options, INVARIANTS, malloc debugging flags
        in userland, and various verbose features in the kernel.  Many
        developers choose to disable these features on build machines
        to maximize performance.

So... did you turn off all those?

--
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi_at_freebsd.org