Re: ATA disk performance (ICH2 controller), some tests andcomparison with Linux 2.6.5

From: Mauro Triulzi <triulzi_at_freesurf.ch>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 00:36:11 +0200
Michael Nottebrock wrote:

>On Saturday 25 September 2004 22:59, Mauro Triulzi wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>I post some tests about the performance of my ATA disk (which is not
>>very spectacular under FREEBSD 6.0).
>>

>Standard disclaimer (copied from UPDATING):
>
>NOTE TO PEOPLE WHO THINK THAT FreeBSD 6.x IS SLOW:
>        FreeBSD 6.x has many debugging features turned on, in
>        both the kernel and userland.  These features attempt to detect
>        incorrect use of system primitives, and encourage loud failure
>        through extra sanity checking and fail stop semantics.  They
>        also substantially impact system performance.  If you want to
>        do performance measurement, benchmarking, and optimization,
>        you'll want to turn them off.  This includes various WITNESS-
>        related kernel options, INVARIANTS, malloc debugging flags
>        in userland, and various verbose features in the kernel.  Many
>        developers choose to disable these features on build machines
>        to maximize performance.
>
>So... did you turn off all those?

Yes of course:

foo# uname -a
FreeBSD foo.bar.com 6.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 6.0-CURRENT #0: Sat Sep 25
17:54:29 CEST 2004
triulzi at foo.bar.com <http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-current>:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/MYKERNEL  i386

source tree actualized and built today, *all debugging options disabled*