Re: Laptop recommendations?

From: Scott Lambert <lambert_at_lambertfam.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:38:11 -0500
On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 03:00:35PM +0200, Rainer Duffner wrote:
> I still don't know if I should replace my Inspiron 4000 with a PowerBook
> or with a x86-laptop - the price of a D600 seems to come very close
> anyway and the PB would be hassle-free in the ACPI-departement at
> least....

I've had reasonably good luck running FreeBSD on laptops the past 6
years.  The support gets better all the time.  Project Evil is the
beautiful.  Everyone has done a lot of great work getting the hardware
support together.  However, this Powerbook (15", 1.3GHz) and OS X 10.3.5
is really nice, especially if you have a digital camera.

There are some different hassles from running FreeBSD but in general it
is a much lower hassle environment, for me.  It is nice to be able to
slam the lid, toss it in the bag, and be sure everything will be right
where you left it in a few hours when you open it up again.

My biggest complaint is the same as about my last x86 laptop.  I hate
touchpads.

lambert_at_lambertfam.org