Re: Laptop recommendations?

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 23:41:52 +0930
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:44, Josef Karthauser wrote:
> My Dell Inspiron 5000e is getting a bit long in the tooth, and the
> keyboard has just packed in :( so I'm in the market for a new laptop.
> Does anyone have any recommendations for me?  In particular I want a
> working ACPI/suspend interface and this Dell has never been supported
> well - fans on all the time, doesn't resume properly, etc.
>
> My previous machine was a Sony Vaio which I loved, but was fairly
> expensive and the repair support wasn't very good.  Dell's support was
> much better and I'd prefer a Dell I think, but I don't know whether more
> recent models fair better with power management support, etc.
>
> Any helpful hints would be gladly received.

I have an Inspiron 8600 which is pretty nice.
Loads of stuff in it, but kind of heavy if that bothers you.

I use ndis for the Intel wireless, and the nvidia binary drivers for the video
card (although the new ones don't work yet..)

The 1920x1200 screen is really nice :)

Here is a page on it..
http://www.gsoft.com.au/~doconnor/I8600/

Note that it won't do better than S1 suspending (hangs or reboots)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum