Re: WIP: /etc/rc.d/xdm RCORDER problems

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida_at_linux.gr>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 11:56:41 +0300
On 2004-09-27 19:38, Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
>On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:16:30 +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>>On 2004-09-27 14:50, Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
>>
>>Some of the rc.d scripts you listed above have a `REQUIRE: LOGIN' line.
>>This will create a dependency problem if combined with a line that contains
>>`BEFORE: LOGIN', since a script cannot depend on LOGIN to start but start
>>before LOGIN.
>
> I don't think this may be a REQUIRE issue, but a BEFORE: one

AFAICT, these two can work in two ways:

     1. As complementary information.  When two scripts B and C depend on the
	same script A and the order of B, C *is* important BEFORE can be used
	to ensure the correct order is used.

     2. As implicit dependency information specifiers.  If B specifies that it
	should start `BEFORE: C' and B depends on A, then C also depends
	(indirectly) on A.

I think I prefer the first way of using BEFORE, which is what you're trying to
do.  But I may be wrong or I may have misunderstood the way the keywords work.

> I rather puzzle that, ading a simple script (xdm) I can't manage to put it
> at the very end of rcorder (I have race problems between gettys from
> /etc/ttys and xdm).

What happens if you copy the logic of the existing scripts and add only this
line to your xdm script?

	REQUIRE: LOGIN

> It, at a minimum, annoying.  I can sure what is.  But rcorder seems to be
> very sensitive to 'string  order'.

>>The scripts that depend on LOGIN and are listed above are:
>>
>>    /etc/rc.d/syscons:# REQUIRE: LOGIN usbd
>>    /etc/rc.d/sshd:# REQUIRE: LOGIN
>>    /etc/rc.d/sendmail:# REQUIRE: LOGIN
>>    /etc/rc.d/archdep:# REQUIRE: LOGIN
>>    /etc/rc.d/abi:# REQUIRE: LOGIN
>>    /etc/rc.d/cron:# REQUIRE: LOGIN
>>    /etc/rc.d/devfs:# REQUIRE: LOGIN
>>    /etc/rc.d/jail:# REQUIRE: LOGIN
>>    /etc/rc.d/pcvt:# REQUIRE: LOGIN
>>    /etc/rc.d/othermta:# REQUIRE: LOGIN
>>    /etc/rc.d/msgs:# REQUIRE: LOGIN
>>    /etc/rc.d/mixer:# REQUIRE: LOGIN usbd
>>    /etc/rc.d/inetd:# REQUIRE: DAEMON LOGIN
>
> And ... why? sshd, sendmail, inetd, othermta ... It's no sense. All this
> are network servers that must be on NETWORK, REQUIRE NETWORKING and be run
> BEFORE LOGIN  ?no?.

Essentially the current `LOGIN' script pulls in (via `DAEMON') a dependency on
two important things that these servers might need to operate normally.  The
NETWORKING and SERVERS dependencies.  These ensure that basic networking
support has been configured and all the remote filesystems have been already
mounted[1] when these servers start.

I'm not sure if all this is helpful for what you're trying to do.  If not,
then the people at freebsd-rc_at_ will probably know a lot more details about
the design/rationale of the way each script works.

- Giorgos