Re: WIP: /etc/rc.d/xdm RCORDER problems

From: Jose M Rodriguez <josemi_at_freebsd.jazztel.es>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 19:38:26 +0200
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:16:30 +0300, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida_at_linux.gr>
wrote:

> On 2004-09-27 14:50, Jose M Rodriguez <josemi_at_freebsd.jazztel.es> wrote:
>> I have now a working /etc/rc.d/xdm script for booting
>> Xorg(XDMCP)/gdm/kdm/xdm.
>> But I have reached a problem.
> Sure, you can always send-pr something that bothers you.  In this case
> though, IMHO, you should wait a bit.
>
> Some of the rc.d scripts you listed above have a `REQUIRE: LOGIN' line.
> This will create a dependency problem if combined with a line that
> contains `BEFORE: LOGIN', since a script cannot depend on LOGIN to start
> but start before LOGIN.

I don't think this may be a REQUIRE issue, but a BEFORE: one

as an explample, if inetd must launch a NETWORK, it must be launch BEFORE
LOGIN.

I can't send-pr this. I doesn't know even how to begin.

I rather puzzle that, ading a simple script (xdm) I can't manage to put it
at the very end of rcorder (I have race problems between gettys from
/etc/ttys and xdm).

To get a working patch, I've to rename xdm to 0xdm.  It, at a minimum,
annoying.
I can sure what is.  But rcorder seems to be very sensitive to 'string
order'.
Take note is other problems arise ... Just putting another script more !!

> The scripts that depend on LOGIN and are listed above are:
>
>     /etc/rc.d/syscons:# REQUIRE: LOGIN usbd
>     /etc/rc.d/sshd:# REQUIRE: LOGIN
>     /etc/rc.d/sendmail:# REQUIRE: LOGIN
>     /etc/rc.d/archdep:# REQUIRE: LOGIN
>     /etc/rc.d/abi:# REQUIRE: LOGIN
>     /etc/rc.d/cron:# REQUIRE: LOGIN
>     /etc/rc.d/devfs:# REQUIRE: LOGIN
>     /etc/rc.d/jail:# REQUIRE: LOGIN
>     /etc/rc.d/pcvt:# REQUIRE: LOGIN
>     /etc/rc.d/othermta:# REQUIRE: LOGIN
>     /etc/rc.d/msgs:# REQUIRE: LOGIN
>     /etc/rc.d/mixer:# REQUIRE: LOGIN usbd
>     /etc/rc.d/inetd:# REQUIRE: DAEMON LOGIN

And ... why? sshd, sendmail, inetd, othermta ... It's no sense. All this
are network servers that must be on NETWORK, REQUIRE NETWORKING and be run
BEFORE LOGIN  ¿no?.

--
   josemi