Re: nsupdate(8) rc.d Script

From: Crist J. Clark <cristjc_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 22:54:25 -0700
On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 02:09:38PM -0400, Michael Joyner wrote:
> I think this would be exremely useful for *bsd machines on Active
> Directory networks.

Microsoft Active Directory? I thought that was bastardized LDAP? It
uses DNS updates for something? If so, let me know if there is anything
to do to make the script more useful in such an environment.

> This way I can (hopefully) stop mucking around with /etc/dhclient.conf
> to get it to send 'hostname' to the DNS server and DHCP server.

Is it a ISC DHCP server? I've had a pretty easy time getting FreeBSD
clients to send hostname info which the DHCP server which then does
updates to a BIND DNS server. Like I said earlier, my original motivation
was self-updating for IPv6 addresses just like IPv6 hosts pretty much
configure themselves with rtsol(8). Well, since it's all ISC software,
you would hope it all plays well together. Does using MS in the mix make
life rough?
--
Crist J. Clark                     |     cjclark_at_alum.mit.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~cjc/    |     cjc_at_freebsd.org