Re: unable to install beta6 [amd64] on Dell 2850 with 4 GB RAM,workaround

From: Claus Guttesen <cguttesen_at_yahoo.dk>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:29:42 +0200 (CEST)
> Regarding the 4G of ram thing below..  Several
> people have tinkered with
> the auto-tuning of kernel resources based on

Tried setting maxusers to 256 in kernel. Still crashes
with 4 GB RAM installed when load occurs, like 'make
-j 16 buildworld'.

Compiled a debug-kernel, but after a crash it says
"savecore: no dumps found".

Kernel has:

makeoptions    DEBUG=-g
options         KDB
options         KDB_TRACE
options         KDB_UNATTENDED
options         DDB
options         DDB_NUMSYM
options         GDB

rc.conf:

dumpdir="/var/crash"
dumpdev="/dev/amrd0s1b"

Swap-area is 8 GB.

Disabling the onboard Intel ICH5 UDMA100 controller
make the server boot go into mulituser.

Running with DEBUG=-g seems to make the server crash
less frequently.

kern.sync_on_panic is unchanged (=0).

Am I compiling wrong settings into the kernel, since I
don't get a dump?

Claus