Re: panics and traces, who and where to report?

From: Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe_at_nsu.ru>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 01:21:18 +0700
On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 02:59:18PM +0200, Volker wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> Last week I was sending some panic reports (using 6-CURRENT and
> RELENG_5) and debugger traces to this list. I didn't get a response and
> while cvsup'ing twice a day for several days and doing buildkernel every
> other day the situation didn't change.
>
> So I'm wondering if this is the right place to report panics and traces?
> Or are these better placed at hackers_at_?

The place is probably just right, but since people are pretty busy with
upcoming release, the queue of problems does not get flushed at the rate
we sometimes want it to.  You'd just have to accept this.  RE team is
doing its best to deliver 5.3-RELEASE so not to be ashamed of it.

> Another question: Do you really expect RELENG_5 to become stable within
> the very next few weeks? From my point of experience with RELENG_5 it
> looks like I have to switch my OS as I don't believe the 5-STABLE will
> be production stable soon.
>
> I have to install two new bsd-based routers on 10/10/ and I have to
> decide now whether I still do believe in FreeBSDs' stability.

Even if you believe that you have valid reasons to not trust 5.X
completely, there's still RELENG_4 which is as solid as a rock.

./danfe