Re: Can't change partition table anymore

From: Andrey Chernov <ache_at_nagual.pp.ru>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 08:28:17 +0400
On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 09:00:12PM -0700, Darren Pilgrim wrote:
> > I can't write FreeBSD bootloader because reinstalled Windows overwrite it
> > with standard MBR and sysinstall don't allow to write bootloader anymore.
> > The only thing I not try yet in that situation was 'dd' - I was too lasy
> > to find needed byte.
>
> The MBR is the first sector of the disk.  FWIW, if you're coexisting with
> Windows, it's easier to let Windows have its way with the MBR and use
> Windows' own boot loader.  The setup is simple, copy a boot sector and edit
> a text file, and Windows won't mess with it.

There are a lots of ways. When I don't know kern.geom.debugflags=16 trick
yet, I istall 3rd party boot manager under Windows. But all this is not
relevant to the discussed subject: why FreeBSD root can't change disk
partition without quasi-shamanic dance with unnatural and undocumented
sysctls? Why Linux root can do it freely?

--
http://ache.pp.ru/