Re: Can't change partition table anymore

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 23:06:21 -0600 (MDT)
In message: <20050404042817.GB49953_at_nagual.pp.ru>
            Andrey Chernov <ache_at_nagual.pp.ru> writes:
: On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 09:00:12PM -0700, Darren Pilgrim wrote:
: > > I can't write FreeBSD bootloader because reinstalled Windows overwrite it
: > > with standard MBR and sysinstall don't allow to write bootloader anymore.
: > > The only thing I not try yet in that situation was 'dd' - I was too lasy
: > > to find needed byte.
: >
: > The MBR is the first sector of the disk.  FWIW, if you're coexisting with
: > Windows, it's easier to let Windows have its way with the MBR and use
: > Windows' own boot loader.  The setup is simple, copy a boot sector and edit
: > a text file, and Windows won't mess with it.
:
: There are a lots of ways. When I don't know kern.geom.debugflags=16 trick
: yet, I istall 3rd party boot manager under Windows. But all this is not
: relevant to the discussed subject: why FreeBSD root can't change disk
: partition without quasi-shamanic dance with unnatural and undocumented
: sysctls? Why Linux root can do it freely?

As you see in my other mail, this only happens when one partition
overlaps the MBR and that partition has mounted partitions.  Such a
configuration is illegal, but tolerated, in the PC world.

Warner